What You Need To Know To Be A Substitute
If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher for one of the Darke County school districts, you will find much of the documentation necessary here.
Step 1: Create a OH/ID Portal account through the Ohio Department of Education
https://safe.ode.state.oh.us/portal. If you need further help, please
HOW DO I ACCESS MY INFORMATION?
NOTE: Attempting to log into OH|ID with SAFE credentials will not work. An OH|ID account must be created first and matched to your existing Department of Education profile.
- If you already have an existing OH|ID account from another agency…
- Log in using your existing OH|ID username and password. If you have an existing Department of Education (formerly SAFE) profile, you will be able to link that to your OH|ID account during the Department of Education profile setup process.
- If you do not have an existing OH|ID account…
- You will need to create one in order to access your applications. If you have an existing Department of Education (formerly SAFE) profile, you will be able to link your profile to your new OH|ID account once your account is established. If you do not have a Department of Education profile, you will be prompted to create one.
- If you do not have an OH|ID profile or a Department of Education profile…
- You will need to create BOTH profiles in order to access your applications.
Step 2: Complete a Credential Application via the Ohio Department of Education
Preliminary Steps for First-time or Renewal of Licenses
- Contact a school, district or educational service center. Please DO NOT apply for this license (new or renewal) through the Department's online system until you have completed the two steps below; otherwise, your application will be declined. You must:
- Complete the employment process at the Ohio school, district or educational service center for which you are interested in serving as a substitute teacher.
- Notify the employing organization that you will be selecting it as you apply online; the organization's e-signer will need to electronically sign your license application.
- Background checks. You must have current background checks on file with the Department. Please click here for more information.
- Transcripts. If you are applying for a NEW substitute license, you will need to submit your official transcript (no photocopies) reflecting your degree conferred (minimum of a bachelor's degree is required). Please be prepared to scan and upload your original, official transcript in PDF format to your OH|ID account. Please note that we cannot accept grade reports, photos/photocopies of transcripts or unofficial transcripts. Before uploading your transcripts, please see the following requirements. You may also click here for a video tutorial on scanning and uploading transcripts:
- Confer date of bachelor's degree must be visible.
- Include all pages of transcript (front and back).
- Registrar's signature and transcript key/guide must be visible.
- Create one PDF file per transcript (do not upload pages separately).
- Upload transcripts from multiple universities separately (i.e. each transcript should be one PDF file).
- Electronic transcripts may only be sent directly from the issuing college/university to email@example.com.
- Do not submit transcripts that will expire or are password protected or locked.
- Please note that you may view previously submitted documents in your OH|ID accountunder the My Documents section of your CORE Dashboard. If your official transcripts were submitted per system directions, you will not need to resubmit them.
- If you would prefer to mail your original, official transcripts, please use the following address:
Department of Education
Office of Educator Licensure
25 S. Front Street
Mail Stop 504
Columbus, OH 43215
Step 3: Review the Darke County Schools Substitute Teacher's Handbook
Step 4: You will be required to have a background check before you can work as a substitute teacher. You may learn more about the requirements by clicking here .
Step 5: Please download the contract under Documents. Sign, date and return to the Darke County ESC office.